How can you make that happen?
Does this sound familiar to you?
You feel the urge to buy something, but your credit card debt flashes before your eyes. From out of nowhere, an inner voice says:
“Yes, I have a lot of credit card debt, but who doesn’t, these days?”
Then another part of you says:
“I’ll never get out of debt, anyway, so I might as well keep buying what I want.”
Your inner worrier jumps in:
“Uh, we’re really getting close to BIG trouble, here. I’m feeling really scared…”
The rescuer tries to save the day:
“Don’t worry. I’ll figure out a way to pay this month’s bills, and then we’ll be okay.”
A minute passes, and then a very quiet part of you wonders:
“What’s wrong with me? Why am I the only one struggling with this?”
A rebel voice says:
“Who cares? I’m not giving it up. I deserve nice things just like everyone else!”
In fact, the thought of giving it up really does scare you. You think:
“I am what I wear, I am what I buy. If I can’t get these things, who will I be?”
Another voice answers:
“Yeah, and besides, buying things makes me happy. I deserve to be happy.”
You glow in that thought for a minute, but then the heaviness of your situation nags at you again. It starts the whole conversation over…and on it goes, for the thousandth time…
Doesn’t that exhaust you?
If that doesn’t make you want to escape, I don’t know what would!
So… let me get to the point.
Have you ever had times when you felt really lost and confused, maybe even angry, and for some reason, you made the choice to just get away from it all?
Maybe you went for a walk. Or a bike ride. Or to a movie?
Often, GETTING AWAY allows us the time and space to see things differently…
Getting away gives us new perspective. It allows us to come back refreshed – and able to take an entirely different approach. We can see simple solutions that eluded us before.
This is why I decided to offer a weekend workshop at Omega Institute in New York. This weekend can easily pay for itself when your shopping behavior changes.
I think it’s really hard to shift our thinking and perspective while sitting smack dab in the middle of our lives. If you’ve been wondering what the heck is wrong with you – why you can’t just get control of your spending – it could well be because you’re trying to make a big change without the benefit of getting away from your situation. Next to impossible for many of us!
Face it: Escaping that chatter in your head is really hard. Not just for you, but for any of us who are dealing with it. It’s maddening, and exhausting.
And who can make changes in their lives when they’re already exhausted? Not many of us.
The TRUTH (which is hard for you to see right now) is this:
- You are not defective and you are certainly not alone. Others struggle with uncontrolled spending, too. They feel the same debt pressure that you do, and they also hate it.
- Your situation is far from hopeless! I know this. I’ve helped many people get out of the same situation. It can be done.
- Continuing on the way you are is only going to make things worse: You already know that, at some point — maybe very soon — it IS all going to come crashing down around you. I can’t help you escape that unless you do something different.
- You, absolutely, deserve to be happy.
- This change of scenery – this escape to a blissful oasis – can really help you understand what is going on for you and why. It can certainly help you shift your thinking and get you on the road to positive changes.
- This is NOT a weekend where you’ll be preached to or admonished for your behavior. This is a weekend where you’ll feel the compassion of understanding, and where you’ll learn to develop the self-compassion to take really effective steps to change your life.
- Reserve your spot now!
What to Expect From the Weekend
Dr. April Benson, an expert in overshopping and a recovered overshopper herself, will help you explore what’s behind your overshopping, what needs you’re trying to meet, and how you can tackle this issue in a way that makes all the difference.
No matter where you are with your shopping habit or your debt, you will:
- See, firsthand, that you’re not alone.
- Learn a variety of easy, step-by-step strategies that can make a BIG difference.
- Identify your personal goals and values: there’s more to life than shopping and debt.
- Know how and where to get more support, as you need it, in your continued journey.
- Develop the confidence you need to face this demon in your life, and win!
Where: Rhinebeck, New York
When: October 21-23, 2011
Tuition: $280 or $255 w. Omega membership. Tuition discounts are available.
Register online here:
To view campus and all-inclusive accommodations, click here.