The Stopping Overshopping Individual Coaching Program
Dr. April Benson and Master Money Coach, Carrie Rattle are available for individual coaching in:
- The New York metropolitan area
- Individual coaching by phone and Skype, for overshoppers who live anywhere outside of the New York metropolitan area.
We’ll ask you to fill out three intake forms (listed below), which will immediately increase your awareness about your overshopping behavior and supply us with important information about yourself.
- A Personal History and Demographic Data Questionnaire
- Two valid and reliable compulsive buying rating scales
- A Purchasing Recall form
The goal of our program is to:
- Break the cycle that leads to compulsive buying
- To teach skills, tools, and strategies to help you eliminate your compulsive buying behavior and develop the capacity to lead a richer life in the process.
The comprehensive program in Dr. Benson’s book, To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop is the basic structure of the individual work, although the program is tailored to each person’s specific needs. The coaching we’ll do approaches the problem from feeling, thinking, and behavioral levels and employs a variety of effective techniques to meet the goal of helping you to resist and eliminate self-defeating overshopping behavior and replace it with interests, relationships, and competencies that enhance your life rather than erode it.
Each individual will use To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop and the companion Shopping Journals. With these instruments, you will formulate specific, achievable, and measurable weekly goals. There is no set number of sessions, although it usually takes at least 12 50-minute sessions to get through the entire program.
Over the course of the 12 weeks, you will:
- Explore why you overshop, how it all began, what triggers it, and what the consequences are.
- Discuss your ambivalence about changing, the centrality of saving, and the high cost of credit card debt.
- Track your spending and evaluate the relative necessity of each expenditure.
- Learn how to resist the pull of the six major shopping magnets
- Develop the capacity to shop mindfully by utilizing the wisdom of your body, your heart, your mind, and your spirit.
- Learn how to anticipate lapses, avoid relapses, and plan for upcoming high risk situations.
- Look at shopping with a wide-angle lens by shopping for ideas and experiences and, in the process, acquiring true wealth.
If you are concerned about your or a loved one’s buying behavior and wish to contact Dr. Benson about individual shopping addiction treatment or coaching, please contact her by clicking here. For a list of therapists trained by Dr. Benson, click here.