APRIL LANE BENSON, PH.D.
110 Riverside Drive, New York, NY 10024 (917) 881 4767
New York State Licensed Clinical Psychologist Lic. No. 005514
- Psychotherapist with more than forty years of experience, specializing in the treatment of compulsive buying disorder
- Co-founder (1979) Center for the Study of Anorexia and Bulimia, a division of the Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy
- Founder (2003) Stopping Overshopping, LLC
- 1977, Ph.D. in Educational Psychology, Ferkauf Graduate School, Yeshiva University
- 1973, M.A., in Counseling Psychology, Teachers College, Columbia Univ.
- 1973, B.A., Cum Laude, Barnard College, Columbia Univ.
Post Graduate Training:
- 2000-present Training in Cognitive Behavior Therapy, Dialectical Behavior Therapy, Motivational Interviewing, Internal Family Systems, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy, Mindfulness
- 1998-1999, Training Program in Spirituality and Psychotherapy, Blanton-Peale Institute
- 1985, Certificate in Psychotherapy of Eating Disorders, Center for the Study of Anorexia and
- 1983, Certificate in Psychoanalysis, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy
- 1980, Certificate in Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy
- Founder and CEO, Stopping Overshopping, LLC, New York, New York since 2003
- Board of Directors, Institute for Contemporary Psychotherapy, New York, New York 2002
- Board of Trustees, Riverside Park Conservancy, New York, New York since 2011
- Private Practice of psychoanalytic psychotherapy, cognitive-behavioral therapy and psychoanalysis, New York, New York since 1976
I Shop, Therefore I Am: Compulsive Buying and the Search for Self, April Lane Benson (ed.) Aronson, 2000
Benson, April L.; To Buy or Not to Buy: Why We Overshop and How to Stop, Trumpeter Books, 2008
Recent Magazine and Journal Articles:
Benson, A.L. “Compulsive Buying is Finally Coming Out of the Closet, In Psych (Volume 39, Number 4, August, 2017)
Benson, A.L. “Overshopping or Overspending? Personalized Text Messages Can Help. Paradigm Magazine (Volume 20, Number 1, 2016)
Benson, A.L. “Eat, Shop and Be Merry (Part One), Pro Voices, The Fix: Addiction and Recovery, Straight Up (September 3, 2015).
Benson, A.L. Eat, Shop and Be Merry (Part Two), Pro Voices, The Fix: Addiction and Recovery, Straight Up (September 10, 2015).
Benson, A.L. “ ”Stopping Overshopping Model” in Financial Therapy: Theory, Research, and Practice, B. Klontz, S. Britt, and K. Archuleta, (eds.), Springer, 2015.
Benson, A.L. “Practitioner Profile: An Interview with April Benson, Ph.D., in Journal of Financial Therapy, (Volume 5, Number 2, Article 7.http://dx.doi.org/10.4148/1944-9771.1091, 2014).
Benson, A.L. On ‘The 12-Year-Old Shopaholic, and Other Big Spending Kids , September 30, 2014, Huffington Post.
Benson, A.L. “Compulsive Buying Disorder: Let’s Stop Smiling at The Smiled-Upon Addiction” in Paradigm Magazine, (Volume 18, Number 3, 2014).
Benson, A.L., Eisenach, D., Abrams, L. & van Stolk-Cooke, K.). “Stopping Overshopping: A preliminary randomized controlled trial of group therapy for compulsive buying disorder” in Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, (Vol. 9, Number 1, 2014).
Benson, April L. “Amanda: An Overshopper’s Recovery Story” in Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, (Volume 8, Number 1, 2013).
Benson, April L. and Eisenach, David. “Stopping Overshopping: An Approach to the Treatment of Compulsive Buying Disorder” in Journal of Groups in Addiction and Recovery, (Volume 8, Number 1, 2013).
Benson, April L. “Amanda” in “Case Examples”, Chapter 10, Compulsive Buying: Clinical Foundations and Treatment, James Mitchell and Astrid Mueller (eds.), Routledge, 2011.
Benson, April L., Dittmar, H.E., and Wolfsohn, R. “Compulsive Buying: Cultural Contributors and Consequences” in Impulse Control Disorders: A Clinical Guide, Lorrin Koran and Elias Aboujouade, (eds.), Cambridge University Press, 2010.
Benson, April L. “To Buy or Not to Buy: You Can Never Get Enough of What You Don’t Really Need” in The Psychotherapy Networker, March-April, 2009.
Selected Media, Print:
Quoted about eating disorders and compulsive buying in numerous magazines and newspapers including New York Times Magazine, Wall Street Journal, Los Angeles Times, Chicago Tribune, U.S. News & World Report, Christian Science Monitor, Toronto Star, Denver Post, Cosmopolitan, The Washington Post, Daily News, Redbook, Money Magazine, Harper’s Bazaar, Marie Claire, Elle, Kiplinger’s Personal Finance, Barnard Magazine, Real Simple, Ladies Home Journal, Monitor on Psychology, So. Florida Magazine, and a variety of internet publications.
Selected Media, Broadcast:
“The Today Show” , “Good Morning America” , CBS Morning News, BBC World News, “The Jean Chatzky Show” Oprah and Friends Radio, CBS Evening News, Project Health Radio “Soft Addictions”, Fox News, “The Peter Walsh Show” Oprah and Friends Radio, WebMD, State of Affairs on NPR “Compulsive Shopping”, Paula Zahn Now on CNN, ABC National Radio Australia “Life Matters: Compulsive Shopping Talkback”, Sunrise-Australia, Featured in Morgan Spurlock’s full length documentary “What Would Jesus Buy?”, The Morning Show with Mike and Juliet, The Brian Lehrer Show, NPR, CNBC “Money Trends: Shopaholics”, WCBSTV, CNN “Addicted to Shopping”, The Bank of Mom and Dad -Episode 5, “The Secret Lives of Women: Shopping Addicts” , “My Strange Addiction” , “Mary Talks Money”, CNN Money, CNBC Luxury Boom: The New Big Spenders, WPIX, Diane Rehm Show on NPR, Relevance: Extravagance on HBO.